Monday, October 3, 2011

The Glass Box (Amont Paole)

(photo by morbidlybubbly@deviantart.com)

"...my father had built the glass box to use it as a greenhouse a few months before his death. The first time I saw it, it scared the living shit out of me. But I was only a boy back then, I couldn't see its potential.
After my mother's death I was left all alone with it. Me and the glass box. I decided to stay in it for a few days  just to see what it felt like. I liked it but I felt unsafe a little too exposed. Everyone could break the glass and kill me in there, steal my things. So I replaced the glass and installed a state-of-the-art laser alarm, it felt better then.

It had never occurred to me that I would ever use it as a prison cell but there you go. Life works in mysterious ways I guess...
You know I am not a freak, a serial killer or a nut.... I am a business man on the verge of a breakthrough here. I have managed to subtract, with Amont's help of course this new substance we both love, 100% natural and without the usual side-effects, that has changed your life as much as it has changed mine.
And I owe it all to Amont..my beloved prisoner, our beloved dead prisoner, who is very much alive. Weak but alive and productive.
Since Amont moved in the glass box I had to make some changes to accommodate his needs. I removed all blinds from the windows and cut some of the trees around the box which blocked the sun. I made a smaller, completely dark brick box inside it so that Amont can rest during the day and I had to buy all the necessary tubes and needles for home blood transfusion, at least until I find a way to solve Amont's feeding problem. I have done everything in my power to make this happen for us. But now I need help and this is when you come in V. I mean look at me, I am half drained already."

"Why the history lesson, Dave? What is it that you want from me this time?"

"Oh, baby don't be like that.... What I want is a little of your blood in exchange for some more of the sweet super hero syrup you like so much. You don't have to give any money this time...just some blood, that's all I ask."
"Will you let me see him then?"
"Oh no..."
"I want to see him, talk to him, see what's he like.."
"I'm afraid that's impossible... we've been through this before. No one sees Amont, no one talks to Amont and that is my final word.."
"Why?"
"Because I don't trust anyone with him, let alone you....."
"I am not giving you anything unless I see the source with my own eyes."
"You are in no position to make requests V. No donation, no syrup."

I closed my eyes and tried to remember my life before Amont's sweet syrup that changed my life. Before being invincible, dangerous, enchanting. As much as I tried I couldn't or didn't want to. I guess I've pushed that part of my life into oblivion. I would never risk losing the syrup, never.

Dave smiled, pulled a long tourniquet from his back pocket and lifting my sleeve he tied it around my arm.

"This won't hurt a bit, I've grown very good at this.." he said and took out a large sausage-size injection from the desk drawer.
"Isn't this too little? I mean, he is a fully grown, male vampire, isn't he?" I asked and felt my blood rising on my face."
" We don't want to invigorate him...we just want to keep him...productive. Oh.. calm down V." Dave said caressing my flushed cheek. "You watch too many movies. Like I said, he is not anything special."
"Why don't you let me see him then? What are you afraid of...is he handsome in a very undead way? How old is he then? 100? More? And what's with his name? Amont...where is he from?"

Dave tore the needle off arm making me jump. "We're done" he said. "This is your thank you gift, enjoy it V."
I took the took the tiny, plastic container in my hands and gave it a kiss. "Thanks Dave, see you tomorrow." I said.
"You can stay here if you like..."
"Bye." I spat and ran off the back door.
From the back gate I could see the glass roof of the box. The sun was directly above it. The vampire must be cooking like pop corn in the microwave oven...poor thing.



(vampire by Lotte@deviantart)

A few blocks down the street Fresh Kills park, my personal favourite, spreads its 8 903.08413 square metres in multiple glorious ways which enable me to take advantage of my syrupy powers in the maximum.


First I swallow the thick, sweet substance Amont has so marvellously produced and then I lie on my back. 
Gradually my heart slows down and I start to smell the grass under my head and the ground beneath it. Then I take a deep breath smelling the whole planet itself and everything on it; people, cars, buildings, trash, animals, trees.. such a sweet universal smell.


My eyes travel on the creases of the clouds and the light around them. I can hear the light of the sun sizzling on their surface and can hear the air pushing them slowly aside. 
Everything slows down. The insects freeze in mid air and hover above my head, the granules of dirt pivot around themselves before they settle on my skin,  sun light becomes tangible and I feel warm. 
I stretch my legs and pull myself up. I am ready for the glass cage. I am going to see the vampire with my own eyes, I don't care what Dave says, I've waited long enough.
I watch the sun melting behind the low hills and I jump over the high hedge that surrounds Dave's house.
I can already hear Dave sleeping on the top floor. He has left the TV on in the living room too. Typical Dave..

 It was almost completely dark when I pressed my palm on the glass. The box was empty. It fell empty, it sounded empty, it was empty.
Panic washed over me. The vampire had escaped, no more blood, it was all over. I am never going to see him now, I shouldn't have waited all this time. 
I closed my eyes and rested my forehead on the glass. Damn!


(photo by MaryCherryMe@deviant art)

A tiny vibration on the glass was all I felt and so I slowly peeled my head away from the cold surface of the glass. Scalding copper eyes were looking back at me from a sunburnt face, all red and tender. He was looking at me with a wide, sweet smile on his face. He raised his left eyebrow provokingly yet undeniably sexy burning my mind.
"Amont" I exhaled.
"In the flesh" he mouthed back. "Hello beautiful.." he said and waved his fingers playfully.
I stared at the godly face behind the glass and took a step backwards to take him all in.
"You can see me better if you let me out, or if you come in. Isn't it why you're here?" He asked resting on his elbows against the glass.
"I don't know why I'm here Amont. Perhaps I ....."
"You shouldn't be afraid of me. You know that. It is good that you came to see me. I am happy and if you help me, I will make you happy too....in many different ways." His copper eyes caught my reflection so tenderly, it was obvious that he meant it. We could be together, I felt it, for always.
"I see your eyes are all blurry. You've been drinking my sweet blood, haven't you? Did you like it?" he asked me childishly.
"Yes.."I whispered.
" I will give you a lot more of what you want, not just a sip like he does...as much as you like. I can even turn you if you want, make you like me, be together...if you want...you are so beautiful...you can be even more...yes...for ever..Alas!" he said and pulled himself away from the glass.
I saw him walk towards the small brick box at the back of the glass cell and kneeling down he went inside.

"Wait...please wait." I said and glued my face on the glass. "How do I open this thing? Can't you  just break the glass?"
Still sitting on the floor he causally ran his fingers through his hair and laughed loudly shaking his head.
"Unfortunately, as you can see, I am not in the best of shapes." he said softly.

I went to the door and pushed a few digits on the grey key pad Dave had installed to no avail. I tried to think of a possible password but I knew there was no way of finding the right password tonight or on any other night. I looked back at him and punched in more numbers.
Frustration and impatience started to bottle up so, without thinking, I grabbed the key pad with both hands and ripped it right of its socket. This turned out to be a very bad idea. Red lights appeared on the sides of the roof and the whole box suddenly turned red.
I turned around to check whether Dave was already on his way here and felt smoky arms wrapping around my neck. Amont had pushed the door open and was dragging me inside.
"I know who you are" he said and inhaled deeply..."You are that meagre lunch that boy gave me. You donated your blood for me? Oh...this is so sweet." he said softly and buried his face in my hair inhaling loudly.
"Are you going to kill me now?" I muttered "I am the one who set you free..Please."
Why had I come here? Why did I have to see him, why? Hot tears burnt my cheeks and I opened my mouth to scream.
"Shh Shh, Oh no no..." he whispered. "Amont Paole has always been true to his word." he said. "After I feed on you I am going turn you. Tonight IS you lucky night after all my sweet girl." he said and pushed me to the floor.

(photo by x-Afridite-x@deviantart)


Light. All this light is hurting my eyes. Can somebody turn off the fucking lights?
"ANYBODY??"
I close my eyes and wait for the light to go away. I feel hungry and achy, I want to go home, I want my old life back...
. . .
"V! Come out V. Let me see your face now!"
"Dave? Is that you? Oh Dave I'm so sorry!"
I crawl out of the small  dark box and look around. I am inside the glass box.
"Oh No No Dave...let me out!" I glue my palms on the glass and look at my old friend's face.
"I am sorry V. I told you could not see him. This is all your choice."
"Please let me out..please Dave."
"I told you V. I am a businessman, you know I can't do that. Of course your blood won't be as valuable as his, but it's better than nothing. I'm sorry but the glass box is your new home now." he said and walked away.
"See you later!" he shouted.
"I AM NOT GIVING YOU MY BLOOD! HE'LL COME BACK FOR ME AND HE'LL EAT YOU WHOLE YOU BASTARD! COME BACK!" I yelled back and punched the glass as hard as I could.

No comments: